CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Juno/P.S. I love you

I have a feeling this will be controversial but I'm saying it anyway...

I really was not overly impressed with Juno or PS I Love You. Ellen Page was excellent in Juno and the humor was great but overall I didn't really like it. I wasn't sure how I felt about the "message". Adoption is a wonderful thing (my sister and I are both adopted) but it kind of seemed like it was taken lightly. Juno just met this family and decided "sure I'll give you this thing growing in me". I'm not saying it was bad, just not my favorite.

Now on to PS I Love You. Way to sad!!! Who wants to think about their spouse dying and leaving them letters? It was a great idea and a sweet story but to sad. I want romantic comedies to be just that - a sad plot at times but really it is sweet, cute and unrealistic. Take, for example, Return to Me - guy's wife dies tragically, he starts unknowingly dating the woman who got her heart in a transplant. It was sad but funny, sweet an completely unrealistic. In PS I Love You it was to focused on her grief. I don't want to watch someone in a movie go through the stages of grief. I want her to do what these letter say, have fun, meet a boy and fall in love again.

Bear in mind that my mood while watching these movies probably has a lot to do with my oppinions of them. Feel free to disagree. I probably love movies that a lot of people hate.

2 comments:

Kasey Lane McCollum said...

I haven't seen PS I love you so I won't comment on it but I must say I loved Juno. I thought it captured a part of teen culture that finds itself in adult situations and realizes they don't know exactly how to maneuver within in them. They do the best they can with what they have. I could say so much about the movie but I won't. I'm glad you blogged about this. It makes me want to watch it again.

Melanie L said...

If you look at my facebook profile, you'll find PS I Love You on the list of things I do not like. What a horrible movie.

Juno, I thought, was fantastic. For so many reasons.