CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, May 19, 2008

Josh's Camping Trip

Since my sweet husband left today to go camping for a few days I can brag about him. Josh left to go up to our favorite campground outside of Golden, CO. Three years ago he had the idea that he wanted to get away by himself for a few days before summer started. The summer of a youth minister is crazy, stressful, tiring, amazing, intense and rewarding. He wanted the time to just be still, rest, pray, read and prepare himself for the next 3 months. The last two years Josh has gone with two other guys who are youth ministers in the area that he is close to. I know he has enjoyed that fellowship time. They still usually spend most of the days on their own so they still get the solo time before hanging out in the evenings. This year he will have the first night by himself and then some of the other guys are coming up Tuesday night.

I am not a full time minster, but at times being married to one is pretty close. I don't know how Josh, and other youth ministers are able to get through the summer. The schedule is definitly tough, but I think another challenge would be having to give and give and give while ministering to crazy middle and high school kids. Spiritually that is so draining.

I am so proud of Josh for initially coming up with this idea and having the desire to get away. He has had a year full of ups and downs and I know that being as prepared as he can be for the next few months in important. Josh is an amazing minister. He truly cares for the kids and families that he works with. He puts so much time and energy into them - sometimes I think it's a little too much. One of the things that impresses me most about Josh's ministry is that he has a relationship with the kids in the group that allows him to confront and question them without losing their trust or damaging the relationship. That is very unique and such a blessing. I could go on and on about this but I'de like to close with just prayer that I have for Josh and all the people who are preparing to minister this summer.

Lord, please fill Josh and these other men and women with an extra measure of your wisdom, patience and srength. Give them the words to speak and ears to hear. I pray that you keep them safe, protect them and the kids they work with. Refresh their spirits when they are tired, renew their faith when it is tested, rejuvenate their bodies when they are worn out. Each night, give them more rest then they get sleep. Lord, bless them for the work that they do to honor and reflect You.
Amen.

0 comments: