CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

James 3:9

James 3:9 "With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness."

I have heard and read a lot of this lately. I am guilty of it too, don't get me wrong. But I have really noticed it recently. This health care debate has everyone on both sides of the issue up in arms. Whether you agree or disagree doesn't really matter to me. We were all given brains and free will and are entitled to our own opinions. But, I get frustrated when I hear things like "Our nation is ruined", "We have failed our Christian calling" or "The only people who are for this plan want to destroy our country.". There are also negative and hurtful things being said on the other side of the issue. I am tired of hearing people who profess to be Christians dragging people through the mud just because they don't believe in the same things. People are being spit on, cursed at, hit with signs and threatened. What about that is Christ-like?

 Jesus was not a Republican or a Democrat. Christians don't have to have a certain political affiliation, they just need to love, serve and commit to Christ. Health care is not (in my opinion) a salvation issue. People are not going to heaven or hell based on if they think government run health care is a good idea. I have had life long health issues. For me, I am thankful that my husband will never have to decided to take or reject a job based on if they have a group plan. I am thankful that my little sister (who is somewhat irresponsible at times) can stay on my parents' plan to receive care if she gets sick. I know its bad for some people but it's not the downfall of America.

I work in an environment that is not very immersed with Christians. All of this debating and negativity has not done anything to encourage people to turn towards Christ. If we profess to be Christ-followers we need to show it with our words and actions! Please prayerful consider your facebook statuses, words, emails, actions etc. Be aware of what image you are portraying and who we are representing.

4 comments:

Sara said...

Shiloh, I really respect your blog posting. But I have to speak from the other side in acknowledging that conservative Christians are not the only ones that are failing. Negativity comes from liberal Christians as well and their impact also translates to others being pushed away from Christ. Just as you state that Jesus was not a Republican, it is important to follow that up with Jesus was not a Democrat. I am sad that people are verbally attacking one another... but it genuinely is happening on both sides. I think conservatives are the only ones being griped at here. And that's not right. Just my two cents. I'm really not wanting to offend or get in a debate. I just think it's always important to be equitable.

Anonymous said...

Passion ~ a God-given emotion and powerful motivator. We’re familiar with the term “in the heat of passion”. Each of us is driven by passion in some areas of life.

The healthcare debate has evoked passion ~ passionate thinking and actions. Perhaps some have done or said things in the heat of passion that may cause regret later ~ maybe, maybe not.

Probably the most passionate apostle of Scripture was Saul, who later became Paul. God recognized his passion and turned that to his purpose, even though initially it was destructive to the Church, leading to the death of Stephen and probably others as well.

Nonetheless, later in life Paul said, “I am innocent of the blood of all men.” (Acts 20:26b) This because of how his passion was redirected.

Let’s not quench the passion. Let’s use it for God’s best.
~ Eleanor Becker

Shiloh said...

Sara, you were right. I didn't proof read well enough and wasn't being fair so I changed a few things. That's what I get for writing while doing a bunch of other stuff. Thanks for your honesty friend. Let me know what you think now.

Cassie said...

I appreciate your post, Shiloh! I think it is in these times especially, when we need to act most in tune with Christ's heart, putting our hope in a world to come and not in this present moment.