CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Irritation

Just needed to share an irritating situation. If you don't like reading about breastfeeding or pumping - stop reading now.

So, I was actually given a pump before Addie was born and it worked great until 2 weeks ago when all of a sudden the motor slowed down drastically and it lost suction. So, I was faced with having to buy a new one since she is only 5 months old. I wanted to buy the same kind I had but didn't want to spend the money (my old one wasn't under warranty anymore). So, I had read some good reviews about a miPump by First Years and it was only about $90 for a double electric so I decided to buy it. Another draw was that I could get it right away instead of ordering and waiting. There are some good points about it but....

I am now thinking this was a bad decision and I am frustrated. It works ok but it is a little more painful than the old one and I'm already having problems. Twice in the last week the milk has backed up into the tubing and the pump itself. I NEVER had this problem with my old Lansinoh pump. It also takes longer to get less milk. I don't want go buy the replacement I should have gotten a few weeks ago because that is spending another hundred dollars or so (at least) that I don't really just have lying around. Plus, even though Addison is almost 6 months old I'm not sure how much longer I will be able to keep pumping/breastfeeding etc. How long does this typically last? She is eating cereal usually twice a day. I want to pump because I don't want to lose my milk supply (that has already dipped lately) because she is still taking bottles but in all honesty I have no idea what to do.

Just needed to vent. Any advice regarding pumps, how long to breastfeed, cereal feeding, etc is appreciated.

4 comments:

Sara said...

I've debated with this too. I have a Medela pump. It was REALLY expensive, but worked great. I was able to store up several months worth for the future. A lot of people breastfeed somewhere between 6-9 months and then start to supplement with formula and cereal. It's such a hard and personal decision. There's just not one right answer. Does your new pump have a return policy or warranty? You might be able to return it. Sorry, I don't feel like I was much help...

sethnbeth said...

So I usually just stalk (it's a problem i have, but i love keeping up with the lives of fellow leadership camp types), but thought I would actually comment this time. I nursed Emma until she was 10 months old. My goal was a year, but I ran out of milk so we had to switch to formula. Our peditrician (who I love) told me that even though older babies are eating baby food/cereal/table food their bodies do not really digest the food like we do and so the main source of nutrition for them is from breastfeeding/formula until at least age one. The other food is really just a supplement instead of vice versa. Emma ended up losing weight when my milk ran out even though she was eating tubs of baby food at a time (literally). Our doc said what happened with her weight is not common, but that the nutrition stuff is true for all little ones. Hopefully that might help with the time frame. My only other thought was if you forsee yourself switching for formula in the future it is easier to introduce it sooner (starting with a bottle a day or every few days however you want) rather than later. At 10 months Emma did not want formula and it was not the easiest transition from being only breastfeed for so long. Hope that helps! Sorry it was soo long!

beth wright nichols

Corrie said...

I am so sorry you are having so much trouble. Personally I would take it back. If u got it at babies r us u should be able too. Milk shouldn't be backing up in it. My other suggestion is ask a friend that may not be using theirs if u can borrow it. You just buy your parts. Especially since it might not be much longer.

The baby benefits the most from your milk up to six months. That is when the no linger benefit from your immunity. A lot of times this is when a lot of babies start to get sick even when bf.

Good luck and go with your gut. You will know when you are done with it. Their comes that point where u realize you are done.

Kaylee's Mommy said...

Ok I am that mother that breastfed my daughter till she was 2 yrs old although by the time she turned 18 mo it was only in the morning and not every morning. I was able to pump till she was about 15 mos. While you pump are you massaging your breast? Start up at the top of the shoulders (yes the milk glands start WAYYYYY up there) and just massage down to the breast all around them. The more you massage the more milk you will eventually get out. When Kaylee was 12 mos I was in the hospital and could only get about 4 ounces by pumping but I just started pumping every 2 hrs and it ended up filling up two bottles after a couple of days. So what you could do is when she is taking a bottle or after she goes to sleep at night take out the pump and start pumping away. I am so proud of you for breastfeedin Addie! I hope you are able to get another pump, have you tried Craigslist, you can find them for good deals on there sometimes!