CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, July 10, 2009

Blood Sugar Testing

Yesterday I had the regular blood sugar test. This morning the nurse called to tell me that the levels were elevated so on Monday I have to go in for the 3 hour test. Gross.

I really did not mind drinking the orange soda stuff very much and may actually enjoy the time to sit and read on Monday. But, I am now worried just because I don't know a lot about the whole gestational diabetes thing. I'm kicking myself and analyzing everything to see if there is anything I should have been doing or not doing. I know gaining a lot of weight can be a risk factor. I have gained more than average but I am also eating healthy and exercising so I'm not sure why. Addison may just be a big baby but that also creates its own problems and worries.

I'm really hoping that this next test will come back normal. Pray that the results are fine and that the elevated levels could have just been what I ate yesterday! I tried looking up gestational diabetes but didn't find a lot of useful information. Most of what I read was long-winded, scary and did not give any practical suggestions. Has anyone else failed the first test? Any ideas, info etc would be helpful! Thanks!

6 comments:

Kasey Lane McCollum said...

While I was working at the hospital, I ran into the problem of finding credible information that was readable/ accessible. I went to the medical librarian and he recommended a few websites that I have continued to find informative and easy to read.

www.medlineplus.gov (my favorite)
emedicine.com
pubmed.gov

erin f. said...

I am sorry you are having to go through this...I know that there are a lot of people who have to go back for the 2nd test and don't have it. I think the odds are in your favor that you don't, but I will be praying for the best results!

Lauri Anne said...

A couple of weeks ago my first test came back really, really high. I was so upset and worried. The next day I went in for the 3 hour screening, and everything came back normal. I pray yours are normal as well. Good luck!

amy said...

i failed the first too, but passed the 3-hour! praying you do too! yuck-- I really didn't like that drink... I kind of gag just thinking about it- ha! At least it's not too bad to ya! :)

sharon said...

i failed the first test, too! drinking weird things and having my blood drawn are two of my least favorite things, but i made it through and everything came back normal. i will pray the same for you!!

Cheri said...

You will be fine. I trust that the test will come back fine, so try not to worry. Now if it doesn't I know many people who have delivered wonderful beautiful babies and they are all doing great! There is nothing you did or didn't do it is just one of those things that can happen when you are pregnant.
As for the weight, I gained an enormous amount with Justin and then lost it (with a little effort). My sister has had 3 pregnancies and all of them had 60 to 90lb increases. We later found out that our grandmother had the same thing with all 7 of her pregnancies. So point is, our bodies will gain what is needed for us or how we are genetically built. Just continue to do the health eating and walking, you will be fine.