CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Government Spending

This will be short since most of you will have no idea what I am talking about but...I went to a meeting today with Denver County and some of the CPA (Child Placement Agencies). One of the directors of Child Protective Services with Denver County was talking to us about all of the data they have right now. There are so many kids that need homes - either adoptive or foster and the county/state/country etc doesn't have the money. There isn't enough money to pay for foster parent training, quality care for kids or even money to finalize adoptions in court. It is so sad to me that the country is bailing out automobile companies and not the child welfare system. There are kids sitting in shelters or residential treatment centers because there isn't anywhere else for them to go. I know I see more of the impact of all of this because I work in the system everyday, but it should be something that everyone cares about. With the economy in the state it is in, more and more families are deep into poverty which more and more kids are coming into the system with less and less money to provide quality care for them. Denver told us today that they have hiring freezes and several, what I would consider, necessary positions. That means the workers and staff they do have are overworked and kids fall through the cracks. It's all a huge mess and these children are the ones who are suffering.

I'll get off my soapbox for today. Thanks for listening.

1 comments:

Melanie L said...

It's because you care that you are so great at what you do. I love that huge and amazing heart of yours, Shiloh.