CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Blessings from disappointment

Today was a huge disappointment for a lot of people when OU was ranked above Texas in the BCS. When I first found out I was really bummed...but no matter what happens there is a bright side. I was in Austin off and on this past week. I also read several articles about Jordan Shipley, Colt McCoy and even Tech's Graham Harrell. They are all strong christan men who have their faith as a priority. Colt and Jordan both attend Westover Hills Church of Christ where I grew up. I even caught a glimpse of Colt at church today. Jordan recently went and talked to the Westover Youth Group.

Anyway, the point of all this is that while I was wallowing in self-pity because my team didn't get the bid to go to the Big 12 Chamionship, I realized that this disappointment could be a great opportunity. If Colt and Jordan (as well as other UT players) are the type of men that they have the reputation of being then I believe that they will handle this situation by relying on their faith and still finding joy in Christ. What I have prayed for is that the other players will see how they respond and that seed will be planted in their hearts.

Don't get me wrong, I really really really hope there is still a chance for the Longhorns to go to the Championship. - I did read an article that says that have a slim shot if Missouri beats OU http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/01/sports/ncaafootball/01side.html?_r=1 - But even if they don't even play in a big bowl game, its ok. God is bigger than football. I feel kind of stupid writting about this because in the grand scheme of things this is just one college football season. But even if it seems silly, God can use this situation to further His kingdom and I'm sure that he can use 2 Longhorn football players who Him.


I really just like this picture....

4 comments:

Alisa N. said...

I have been really bummed too, especially since I live in crazy sooner territory. Thanks for giving an encouraging way to look at it - & a reminder that we can be Kingdom minded about everything, even football :)

annalee said...

What a good perspective to a disappointing situation.
ps- over Thanksgiving we made the connection that y'all are near my cousin and cousin-in-law... Caleb and Amanda Cox!

BrandyMcD said...

Hey Shiloh,
How funny that I moved all the way back to Texas and THEN found your blog...It was linked from Jenny Thompson's page and they go to our church (or I should say we go to their church since they were there first).

Anyway, here's a little more perspective for you: It could be worse. You could be an Aggie. We lost to Baylor for Pete's sake.

We miss you guys!

Melanie L said...

haha!

Sorry, this post made me laugh. :)