CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day!!

Today is November 4th - election day. I voted this morning and I hope you did too. BUT, I really don't care who you voted for. I don't think because you are a Christian you have to vote one way or another. What I do care about is how we as Christians handle today and the days to follow.

In the high school class at church Sunday the lesson was about community. Josh talked and let the kids talk about the election and who they thought should be President, then he asked if Jesus would be a good President. Basically it came down to thinking that Jesus would not want to be the President. At the end of class I think I kind of spoiled Josh's closing point, but my comment was that it doesn't matter who wins today. God can work through anyone and any situation. I don't think that the country will be in ruins if specific individuals win the election. I don't think God is affiliated with a certain political party anyway, even though it seems that as Christians we assume that He is, or that we should be. GOD IS MUCH BIGGER THAN POLITICS! I do believe that our job as Christians is to pray and to pray a lot. We should pray for whoever is elected into a position of authority. We should put aside our individual ideas about who should win or lose display love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control. What a tragedy it would be if Christians had the reputation of being bitter if our candidate doesn't "win" and we hold a grudge instead of coming together as a community.

So today, I encourage you to exercise your right to vote. But I also encourage you to not berate, belittle or begrudge anyone who does not agree with your political views. Even more so, I encourage you to be display the characteristics of Christ as we deal with this election. Be prayerful, loving and forgiving to all and be mindful of who we represent.

2 comments:

Leah said...

Very well said.

Melanie L said...

heck yes! I actually heard someone say this week, "I'm just going to vote the way Jesus would." Um, ok. I think Jesus was too busy loving the outcasts, healing the sick, feeding the hungry, spreading the message of the kingdom, and in general sacrificing himself in every way possible to really care who was running the political scene. I mean, the Jews totally thought he was there to take over and make everything better as their king, and he was basically the exact opposite of that...and I'm pretty sure it was the Pharisees who were all "involved" in politics anyway. :)