CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Political Chaos

I have a lot to say about this subject. Let's just get the most shocking out of the way now....I am not a die hard Republican. I know that is almost heresy in Texas but it's the truth.

I grew up thinking both of my parents were pretty conservative - little did I know that my mom, a fellow social worker, was a closet Democrat. The older I got and the more immersed in the social work community I became, the less conservative I became.
There are certain things that are faith issues that I will always hold true. But there also seems to be a shift in my political views that may or may not come from my profession. Democratic policy is historical much better for human services with regard to funding, programs etc. I guess really I am more of an Independent instead blindly loyal to one party.

There seem to be two things that currently annoy me about politics - specifically politics and faith. The first is that I don't like feeling like an outsider, or even worse, less of a Christian because I am not a conservative Republican. Does not registering as a Republican put my salvation in jeopardy? Absolutely not. Does an Obama bumper sticker make me love Jesus less? I don't think so. I may not completely agree with all of his policies but I think that it is rare that there is a politician that we agree with about 100% of things. For that matter, it is rare to have a friend that you agree with 100% of the time.

Political emails also drive me crazy. If the subject line looks even remotely like a political forward I delete the email and have been known to politely ask to be removed from any future forward list. I respect other's opinions and would appreciate people respecting mine. I don't shy away from questions or disagreements, but please, never tell me that Democrats can't be Christians.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I impolitely ask to be taken off of political e-mail lists. It doesn't work that way, either.

josh

Becky Martin said...

I totally agree. Over the last few years I've realized that you can't legislate morality and I can affect more change by understanding where people are coming from and have honest conversation to express my views and hear theirs instead of making laws that forbid something and making it seem like my beliefs are better than someone else's. I agree that Democrats seem to do more for human justice, rights and equality. So, I've recently had to come to terms with the fact that I'm a Christian and voting Democrat.

Staci said...

I just found your blog (via your comment on Jenny's blog)...but I think I'll refrain from commenting until you're on a different topic. I'm one of the evangelical Christians that the mainstream media hates...so I'm sure you know what my view are ;) Tell Josh I said HI!

Leah said...

Here's a secret.....we have an Obama bumper sticker. Don't tell anyone........
I do agree, though, that politics are so frustrating, and I cannot wait until the election is over.