CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Proud to be a Longhorn

Thursday night was bittersweet. The Texas Longhorns lost the National Championship to Alabama 37-21. The loss was frustrating for all Longhorn fans. It was even more so because Colt McCoy was injured in the first few minutes of the game. The last report I read said that he had a sprained shoulder and possibly a pinched nerve and that it was Coach Brown's choice not to put him back in the game. So,a true freshman QB went in to play and did better than I expected.

As hard as it must have been for Colt not to play in the National Championship and the last game of his record-setting college career - this is where the sweet part comes in. HE STILL GAVE GLORY TO GOD! In an emotional interview Colt said that he was still "standing on the rock". My first reactions was that this is an incredible witness to his teammates, the Alabama team, coaches, friends and anyone watching. It's easy to praise God when you win the game or win the award or get what you want. It's much harder to praise Him in the storm but that's what Colt did. I'm not saying he is perfect. But I was proud to be a longhorn fan and proud to be a christian.

I saw several facebook status' about this. One that was my favorite said "it's ok. He is second." If you haven't seen the video on yotube with Colt and Sam Bradford you shoud watch it! I don't know if any of Colt and Jordan Shipley's teammates have come to know Christ through them. But, my prayer that night was the God heals their emotional and physical wounds, that He grows the seeds they have planted with their outspoken love for Christ. I saw another facebook status from a family at Westover Hills (where I grew up and where Colt and Jordan attend church) that said "...God has great things in store for him and I am not talking about football." I have heard that the Longhorns motto for this season is Jeremiah 17:7 "Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him". I pray that God will continue to use these Godly men to spread His word and glorify His name. I am proud to be a Longhorn.



0 comments: