CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Things people don't tell you when you get married:

I'm sure there are a lot of things (and my friend Melanie is going to write a book about them). But one of those things is that it is not always easy to have a baby. I grew up thinking that if a girl wasn't on birth control you would get pregnant the first time you ever had sex. Now, I'm sure for some people that is true. For me, its not. It's been about 10 months since the last time Josh and I were pregnant. The first 2 times it happened relatively quickly - this time, not so much. Most days I am ok with that, but some days, like today, it's more difficult.

Another hard thing is how do you talk to friends about things that are "real life problems". I had a lot of friends growing up and could talk to them about a lot of things. Even though there were a lot of things that were a big deal and fairly serious, it usually wasn't hard to talk about with friends. I'm finding this to be different. How do you bring up "so, I've lost 2 babies and can't get pregnant again" to friends - even friends who have been there?

I really am not wanting this to be incredibly depressing so I apologize if it is. Really, it is just venting. I have read some other blogs by people who are struggling with miscarriage and/or infertility. Unfortunately, I am not nearly as eloquent in writing about walking those paths. I wish I was able to write more about that part of my life but there are few things that hold me back: the fear of alienating myself from others, not having any idea of what to say, not wanting to dwell on the past etc. So, what I do instead is sporadically write things on my blog when the inspiration strikes.

So, on that note, thank you for listening. There really are a lot of things that people don't tell you before you get married.

5 comments:

erin f. said...

Shiloh - I wish I had some great words of wisdom, but all I have to offer are my prayers! I will pray for, and believe that God will answer this desire in your heart to have children.

Anonymous said...

Shiloh - I'm so sorry you are having difficulty in this area. I keep you in my prayers and hopefully God will bless you and Josh with a sweet little baby sooner rather than later! Lots of love!

Sam said...

I can definitely understand why it would be hard for you to talk with your friends about issues with pregnancy. It is hard for people to know what to say and how to be comforting without making light of your situation. I'm sorry that you have had such a hard time with all this. I know that you want kids and that you will be a great mom. All I can really say is I will be keeping you in my prayers and I truly hope that everything works out.

amy said...

Praying for you guys. It was SO hard for me to talk about when I was struggling with infertility and I never really knew why either... I guess it's just so personal. and- it's not what you think as "normal" like you said- everyone assumes it's easy. It's not and I'm so sorry you are going down this difficult road. Praying lots.

Sara said...

Thanks for this post Shiloh. God has amazing timing. I haven't read your blog in a while and I wandered onto it today. It was perfect timing because yesterday was difficult for me. I appreciate your bravery in this and your willingness to share (I can't even blog about it!). I send my love and prayers to y'all!