CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Chance of a Lifetime

Before I start going into detail, let me say that I have my sister's permission to tell this story.

For those of you who don't know - my sister Aletheia (who I affectionately call Goober) and I were both adopted as infants.

I have very little information on my biological family. When I was very, very sick after a trip to Africa my parents tried to contact them to get medical information. They were able to get ahold of my maternal grandparents through our adoption agency but they were basically told that the family did not want to even acknowledge a child was given for adoption and they wouldn't help at all. That's beside the point, this is really a story about my sister. Aletheia has always had pictures and letters from her birth mom, who I will call Jill. She never had much information but at least had a name and a face. She knew when Jill had another daughter etc.

I think Goober has struggled with being adopted more than I did. This could be for a variety of reasons including differing personalities, experiences, etc. My parents did a great job of dealing with having 2 adopted children and 2 bio kids. We each had special days where we got to go through our baby books, pick a place for dinner etc. My brothers were never treated any differently than Aletheia and I were. Although, I definitely look more "out of place" in family photos that Goober does. My brothers are both around 6'6 and blond. Aletheia also very tall and her hair is almost the same color as theirs is. My parents also always gave my sister and I the control over who knew we were adopted and who didn't. Sometimes it was annoying to have my mom ask if she could tell someone, but I appreciate the sense of empowerment that it gave me. When we each turned 18 my mom (and dad) told us that if we wanted to look for our birth parents they would help us find them - they just wanted to be a part of the process. When I turned 18 I really wasn't interested in finding my biological relatives. I have thought about it often and once even started the process but it isn't a deep seated need that I have. In contrast, I think Aletheia has always felt a missing piece and a need to meet her birth mom.

This Christmas she had that opportunity. My mom had contact Christian Services of the Southwest and was able to get in touch with Jill who was very excited to meet with us. We were all in Abilene for Christmas so on the 23rd my mom, sister, sister in law and I drove to the DFW area to meet Jill and her daughter Anna.

Goober was incredibly nervous (obviously) but she did a great job. Anna, her younger 1/2 sister has some mental illness issues and Aletheia handled them with patience and grace. She was able to talk with Jill first with just my mom and then with Krista and I. I think she got questions answered, fears eased etc. It was a very emotional draining day but I think it turned out really well.

One of the things that amazed me is how much Aletheia's profile and Jill and Anna's profiles look alike. Aletheia and her sister are obviously related and look a lot alike. I think I will be able to put a picture of Jill on here but will not put one of Anna. Oh, another cool thing was that Aletheia wanted to buy a bible for her Anna. She put a lot of thought into choosing one, highlighted some of her favorite verses and wrote and touching letter in the front. I hope that Anna not only loves the gift but is able to have a stronger relationship with God because of it.

My mom also handled everything very well. She was super hyper (nerves) but was very loving and gracious towards Jill. She thanked her several times for the gift of my sister.

I could probably keep writing for a long time about this but I won't. I will finish by simply saying that God works in mysterious ways. He took a situation 18 years ago that could have been devastating and worked so that I have the best sister ever. What a blessing families are!



4 comments:

Melanie L said...

I still say Aletheia looks like YOU! :)

Ledbetter Fam said...

I think Aletheia looks a lot like your mom. She is so beautiful!!! That is such a great story. Thank you for blessing me with it.

JB

Leah J. said...

I love this story! Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

You are still my favorite 27 year old and a great big sister (or older sister) Mom