CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Life is like...

Life is like a roller coaster. It goes up and down, makes you scream and costs a lot to ride. - Hannah Cheatem age 6



There have definitely been a lot of ups and down it seems like in the past week or so. Addie had to go back to the doctor because after a week of antibiotics her ear infection was not gone. She wasn't screaming, she just wasn't sleeping or eating well. The doctor gave her a new medication and she has been on that for a week. She seems to be doing well for the most part but still not quite 100%. I am still dealing with this ridiculous exhaustion. I think I'm honestly just adjusting to it (which I'm not sure is a good thing). It really feels like my body is just not getting any rest. To add to that, I think I'm not getting any spiritual rest and renewal either. That's a much longer story though and not one that I have the time or energy to share today.

2 weeks ago, on the same day I first found out that Addie had an ear infection, I also found out that my hours had been cut at work. It was a 10% cut. Not huge, but it's going to be tight around our house. It's kind of a long story but basically, our agency does foster care (where I am) and several types of adoptions - International, Domestic Infant, Waiting Child (adoptions from foster care), Kinship etc. International Adoptions in our agency is projected to lose about $170,000 this year. That is mostly due to the fact that countries are closing to adoptions and so applications are not coming in. We don't even work with Russia - this has been happening for a long time and there has been problems in Int'l Adoptions for a long time. The foreign countries can change laws, demand more fees and other things. 3-5 years is an average wait time to bring your child home. The application numbers and fees are down so we are losing money that way and sometimes we are ending up refunding families money. 
Anyway, instead of laying people off, the agency decided to do a 10% hours cut across the board and re-evaulate in July. The hard part for my Foster Care team is that we are more work than we know what to do with now and we are being asked to increase our workloads to bring in more families and more kids, but with less hours. So, I'm stressed out and working more than I'm actually getting paid for. I still love my job and love my team. Foster care is growing right now - we just hired a new Program Director and we are going to be able to try some great new stuff, it's just challenging at the moment. 


There have been some fun ups lately too. I got to see my Melanie. I took a rather lengthy detour to Cheyenne before playing Bunco on Tuesday (we were playing at a girl's house who lives pretty far north so I decided to take the afternoon off and keep going north to see Mel). It was great to see her. I can't believe that the next time I see her (hopefully soon) she will have a beautiful little daughter! 

Last weekend was busy with the Ladies Tea at church. I was helping put it together so that was stressful (another "down").  My friend Michelle was able to come. I worked with Michelle's son when I was at Tennyson Center and we have remained close. It was great to see her. That evening Josh and I were able to have dinner with Addie's Grandma Joan and Grandpa Thayne. This couple has been so very special to us for several years. Thayne recently stepped down as one of the elders at University so they could have more time to travel and do other things. Joan and I have a very close relationship. Their son and daughter in law lost a baby right after Josh and I did so Joan and I  formed a unique bond. We had been trying to get together for several weeks and it finally worked out. Josh tried and new steak marinade and it was delicious. I made twice baked potatoes to go with the steaks and Joan brought a great salad and dessert. Yum!

So, life is going up and down. I'm trying to enjoy the ride instead of just holding on, closing  my eyes and screaming.  

0 comments: