CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

D- Denver

Josh and I moved to Denver for his job as the youth minister at University Church of Christ in May of 2004. We had been married for almost 6 months. This was the first time that Josh had lived outside of Texas - he lived in the metroplex growing up and went to Abilene for college. I had lived in multiple places and states but it had been awhile. It was weird, but at first I missed home and Texas more than Josh did. I missed bluebonnets, Blue Bell ice cream, hot weather, friends, family etc.

Now that we have been here 5 1/2 years we love it. There have been a few times that we considered moving because job situations were less than desirable. But each time we considered it, if the new job had worked out we would have been really sad to leave Colorado. I love the mountains and being so close to so many great places to go for a weekend or a longer vacation. I love the cool stuff that this city has. I am thankful for our friends here, some of which are more like family at this point. Our church has come a long way in their motivation and outreach and the people here have wonderful hearts. It was a culture shock at first being out of the "bible belt". The churches as well as just the city is very different.

I think living here, at least 8 hours from our closest family members, has been good for Josh and I. I think we have become more independent and rely on each other more. It has been a blessing that we had to "grow up" as a married couple quickly. I am also thankful for all the new experiences we have had living in Denver. Josh gets to go skiing more, we camp regularly (which I grew up loving to do. We have to deal with blizzards and snow. We have been able to spend time in some of the most beautiful mountains I have ever seen by ourselves and with friends. The city itself is beautiful with tons of huge parks and miles of trails. The downtown is great and there are so many neat things to do.

Whether we stay here just a few more years or we retire here, I will always be thankful for Denver as our first real home together.

Our first home (a town home, really not this big)


Hiking in Evergreen


Estes Park


Rockies Game


Anniversary Date Downtown


First Snowman

href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEj8cWNv4AcI8rNr16Wj21I2MrB-sGeV6BISIF_9mzcUus48O017JOEjngDQZRANEpEmcPU74bKOnK1pmfrWCea36man-DGA-3qsh1knNV4IUYWvw_SYn8K4qmYaAzPyKyky_wZuG38rMUtS/s1600/rafting.jpg">
Whitewater Rafting with Youth Group


Bear Lake

1 comments:

JENNY said...

I love Denver. Glad you are still enjoying it. The pictures are great!