CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Totally Overwhelmed

I have tried to sit down and blog almost every day recently and my brain has been on total overload. Last week I had a really bad week at work. I mean, bad! It was pretty emotional. I worked 17 hours on Wednesday and 12 hours on Thursday. There was a crisis in one of my foster homes that was really stable - one of the boys did something he shouldn't have and the parents no longer felt safe having him in the home and so he and his younger brother had to leave. In the process of all this we had search and rescue and about 50 volunteers out searching the hill country and land where the foster parents live. I can't really go into details but I was an emotional wreck for a few days. To top it off, I couldn't sleep because I couldn't turn my brain off.

I love my job and I love the work that I do. Overall it is rewarding and I work with some fantastic foster families. I love being able to take kids that other people may have written off and helping them succeed or at least do more than they have previously. Sometimes its not about amazing, news worthy success stories, it's just about growth and changes they make. Anyway....as much as I enjoy my job I have been really burnt out the last few weeks. It could be that it's a combination of work, not really taking care of myself and Josh being gone among other things. Things have also been stressful at the agency because of finances and money. We don't have as many kids in placement as we need to in order to meet our budget and the adoption departments are short as well. I have an AWESOME team that I work with - I love these ladies and they are great friends as well as co-workers. So, I'm hopefully that all of this work chaos will straighten itself out soon.

It has caused me to question a little bit about if I am doing the right thing being involved in a career that is so emotional draining and time consuming. But I honestly can't imagine doing anything else. I could see myself making money with crafts and sewing if I do take some time off work later, but I still want to be involved with social work. It's what I do and a big part of who I am.

I feel like I'm rambling so enough about work.

My mom has been here taking care of Addie for 2 weeks and everyone involved has loved it! Grammy and Grampy have loved this time  Addison and I know it's been special for them. I am loving how attached Addie is to Mom and Larry. She cries when they leave and she has so much fun with them! She loves to play with their dog Sandy and gets jealous when Sandy is in Grampy's lap and she isn't (Sandy gets jealous of Addie too). It really has been an awesome few weeks. Grammy and Grampy will leave this week but will stay in Colorado until her birthday. They will be in several different mountain campgrounds enjoying Colorado.

The shoes in the pic where Addie is on the stairs were mine when I was little! Just a random bit of info.....

1 comments:

Ashley said...

Addie is getting so big, she's still adorable as ever!! :)
I'm so sorry things have been so crazy & overwhelming in your life! I understand how draining & exhausting work can be, especially when it's a job you can't just leave at work. I hope you have peace & clarity on what is best for you & your whole family. Love you girl & wish I could hug your neck right now!!