CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Garden of the Gods Climbing Day

"It's not about the money we make; 
it's about the passions that we ache for."


On Thursday I got to go spend 4 hours technical rock climbing at Garden of the Gods. Josh had given me a gift certificate as a present for completing my 7th summer as a "youth ministry widow".  I love that I have a husband who knows things I love and encourages me to pursue them. 

I got up early on Thursday and drove to Colorado Springs to start the day. I ended up getting to do 4 climbs and repels with just myself and the guide (Buster) who was probably in his mid twenties and has been climbing since he was about 10. My mom and stepdad were going to be in the Springs Thursday anyway so they got to come and watch my middle two climbs. I was thankful they were there to video and take pictures for me!

I won't give you all the details of each one but the levels/grades of the climbs ranged from a 5.6 to a 5.8. Climbing on the sandstone was different for me and I had a hard time with the slab climbing but I really enjoyed it. 

I also think it was a great therapeutic day for me too. I remember thinking as I drove home that I felt like I had more control on top of a 70 foot rock face than I did over what is going on in life right now. Several times as I was climbing I would simply pray "God keep me safe." or "God give me strength". I loved sitting at the top of the third climb, looking around and spending a few minutes in prayer before repelling down again. 

I love doing this and would do it all the time if I could! Enjoy the pictures!

3 comments:

BrandyMcD said...

Wow! Look at you!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you have the opportunity to pursue your dreams. You did great and I love you. Mom

Leah said...

That's so awesome, Shiloh. I am proud of you!!