CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, March 18, 2013

"I"m fine"

Obviously I haven't posted in awhile. I could say its because I don't have a computer but really I just choose to sleep or go to the gym when I have extra time.

I have had a lot on my mind to say lately but today we will talk about saying "I'm fine" when we aren't. I taught a Ladies Bible Class about this last week. 1 John says " if we say we are without sin we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us". I don't know if any of us would say we are without sin, but we do pretend like things are ok and present only the good stuff to people.


I think sometimes this is worse, or at least very prevalent in churches. We are scared or anxious to admit struggles to each other. In the class last week one woman brought up that most of our prayer requests each week are for illness or for those outside of our congregation. I know that people within out body are struggling with things (myself included) that we don't ask for help and prayers for. If I feel intimidated to share it would seem like visitors or those new to faith would be even more intimidated, feel like they didn't fit in at times etc. I also think that opening up can sometimes be a domino effect. In an effort to maybe start this trend of being real here you go:

1. I am struggling with not having a job. I love my kids and I am blessed to have this time with them but I am passionate about my career- it's not just a job to me. I'm also having a hard time just being home. I'm trying to fill our days with activities but its hard.

2. I have trouble being content. I see the ways some of my friends live and I get a little frustrated that we are in a 900 sq foot townhome in a not very safe neighborhood. Granted. We do live in beautiful Colorado but I would love for my girls to have their win rooms, a yard etc.

3. This one is harder to share but I did say we need to be real....I have struggled with depression at least since college when my parents divorced but probably before that. When I was pregnant with Morgan it got pretty bad and my dr was worried. Then after she was born I met diagnostic criteria for moderate post partum depression. This is a whole other topic, but I think mental illness is not dealt with well in churches. Anyway, overall I'm feeling better now but it's still a challenge.

So the point of this is not to complain or get sympathy. I am very blessed in a lot of ways! The point is to encourage openness and honesty. It has been said that people view Christans as  condescending and hypocritical (not really getting into thoughts about that today) but I don't want that to be me. I have no reason to look down on anyone and I don't want to be hypocritical by telling other people to ask for help when I don't. Jesus' disciples were far from perfect. There is no reason for me to pretend things are great if they aren't- even if I'm just stressed because my house is a mess and my cooking stinks. Please don't think I'm saying we should all wallow in self pity- that's not it at all! We can still be joyful and know we are blessed while being genuine with each other.

The last thing I want to say is to encourage us all to think about how we respond to people we know are struggling. Do we say "let me know if you need anything" or "I'll pray for you" but not do anything else? Those things are not bad but I think we should also consistently pray for others, do things for them, let them know they are loved and not forget when we know they are having a rough time. A verse I also read in Ladies Class last week is 1Peter 3:8 "be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble."

That's it for now!

0 comments: